Monday, November 5, 2007

This part of the story gives the cancer details and initial actions taken.

As soon as I could, I saw Aajonus for an exam and specific diet plan, got my medical records out of the hospital in Los Angeles including the x-rays they took at first, the CT scan and MRI, plus copies of the contents of my medical file, and within a few days my husband and I were off to Mexico to get the herbs.
I will quote some of those medical file reports dated 9/2/06:
"multiple spinal metastases. Unknown primary cancer. There is complete replacement of the sacrum especially the upper portion by a probable neoplastic process. Large fibroid uterus" (this one in the uterus is a benign, meaning a non-malignant tumor) "measuring 8.8 cm in diameter for the dominant fibroid. There is also involvement of various vertebral bodies by this metastatic process. Please see MRI for additional information on vertebral body metastases."
The doctor at the hospital showed me the MRI on his lap-top computer. I didn't know to look for a sacrum that should have been there, but the doctor did point out that same large tumor covering the first 3 lower vertebrae. There were masses, lesions and damage everywhere on the spine. The 2nd largest tumor was at the top of the spine, at the base of the skull. As for the main large non-malignant fibroid, it was oval in shape, and quite large.
In addition to the first visit to Mexico, my husband has taken me back to visit the Bio-Medical Center every 3 months since September of '06. Their usual tests have been blood, urine and X-Rays, in addition to the original X-Ray, cat scan and MRI which I brought with me on my first trip there. I have likewise seen the local hospital oncologist locally every 3 months, usually just before each trip to Mexico. He knows I don't want chemotherapy, since it is known not to have much success with the type of cancer they think I have. (In the absence of a biopsy, I was told that my most likely type of cancer was multiple myeloma). The oncologist said that multiple myeloma could be monitored with blood tests alone, so mercifully I did not have to keep doing more cat scans and MRI's beyond the first ones. The advantage of having the X-rays done in Mexico is that they don't give you a lot of radiation (they give much less than cat scans), and also the radiologist in Mexico is able to see what he needs to see from these, namely spread or shrinkage, indications of new bone growing
etc. By the way, the Bio-Medical Center is not your "mom and pop" herb shop--they have medical doctors, a radiologist and oncologist, and lab technicians, and the full support staff that they need.
In that first visit to Mexico, the medical doctor there advised me to get radiation on the lower tumor, so it wouldn't expand any further. That one expanding could have resulted in loss of bladder control, bowel control and the function of the left leg entirely. I was told that the herbs might not be of help right away because it usually takes 3-6 months for them to level in the blood stream to be able to have any effect on the tumor. I had already partially lost bladder control, and my head had developed an involuntary "shake" that was perceptible to me but not to others, so what the doctor said was not out of line as far as I could see. Also, the MRI showed
the cancer in the bone marrow, with the spinal nerves nearby or next in the line of attack, so to say. Back at home, Aajonus, based on his experience with himself and others, thought that radiation was not a good idea. Plus the local hospital doctors wouldn't order radiation (or any treatment) without a biopsy, so there I was between the proverbial rock and the hard place. If ever I wanted to go in to training to develop what might remotely resemble a few
nerves of steel, now was the time...
I did not get any radiation. I continued with the primal diet and I started taking the herbs, and continued with life, seeing family and friends, writing poetry and (oh my gosh) trying to figure out our taxes. None of the bad consequences ever materialized. Around October through December I was developing more mobility, and was feeling much better than I expected (the diet being especially rejuvenating). I could walk, drive the car, and care for myself mostly. With the bold confidence of the truly naive, at that point I even figured the cancer would be gone in a few months, no problem.

No comments: