Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Giving the Primal Diet credit in arresting the cancer

In this last recent visit September 2007 at the Bio-Medical Center in Mexico, based on the X-Ray, they saw some positive progress!
The medical doctor there explained to me that the X-Ray is not nearly as sensitive a tool as is a cat scan or MRI so it was not possible to see shrinkage in the cancerous tumors on and in the
spine, the competence of the Mexican radiologist notwithstanding. However, they did see a 2 centimeter shrinkage in the biggest of the benign fibroid tumors. For the medical doctor, radiologist and oncologist there, that's a fairly good shrinkage. In their experience this was a possible sign of positive response in that this shrinkage usually goes along with or precedes shrinkage in the actual cancer. That, plus the fact that the blood tests over the last few visits have held steady, and in particular the immunoglobulin levels. These are the rogue white blood cells being generated by the cancerous bone marrow, which don't really defend you like the real ones do. An increase in immunoglobulin levels would show more tumor burden and vice versa. In my case, the immunoglobulin levels have been decreasing ever so slightly over the last few tests.
And the clincher: they want to see me 6 months from now instead of in 3 months, glory hallelujah! They also requested I get a new MRI done just before I go there again, and bring it along, for another comparison with the original. By then, this would make them a year
and a half apart. I will request an MRI at the Los Angeles hospital, and also request to see both MRI's myself along with the oncologist locally, and see what he has to say about them, even before bringing the new one down to Mexico.
By indications so far, I have not really been giving the natural methods I have used, and particularly the primal diet, the credit they apparently so richly deserve, even if only in arresting the cancer. Of course we read about natural miracles in books and hear about them in testimonials (and more testimonials ) but in some sense they have had an unreality for me, and a status almost like "toys", as far as their workability is concerned.
However I continued to use those same testimonials to bolster myself up, the ones that always sound so good when it's happening to someone else. You might chalk up some of my dissenting skepticism perhaps to my parents who always staunchly support the medical establishment, plus my lack of experience with natural remedies in a situation where it really matters. Also I have tended a bit to blot out any losses in the medical field with cancer patients (some of
them very close to me), to say nothing of having been told explicitly that no medical cure is available for people with multiple myeloma. And as the grass is always greener, I even started
playing with the fictitious idea of attributing magical powers to the medical establishment, which they admittedly do not have with all types of cancer. Also, why give myself too much hope and have it prove out to be wrong? So I had a pretty good little thing going between unabashed confidence and the lack of it, meanwhile always following the directions I had, and going for a full and complete return to health, and gearing myself up mentally to make it so!
It should be said that the Biomedical Center gives you dietary guidelines to follow. I went over this with them, but I chose the Primal Diet instead, and—in retrospect—I am Soooooooooooo glad I did. The diet given at the Biomedical Center is primarily grain and veggie based. The Primal Diet (all raw) includes meat and dairy, and is so rich in nutrition, and has felt so rejuvenating. I have been able to stay within the Bio Medical Center's guidelines, in terms of
no white flour/white sugar, processed foods, and other prohibited foods as well. However I felt very lucky to have the best of all possible worlds with the Primal Diet, and I feel that that one
factor is what kept me from reaping the consequences of expanding tumors that I was warned about, within the first 6 months of treatment. They know (and understand) that I am not taking any of the vitamin and mineral supplements they suggested. Congratulations must go to to Aajonus Vonderplanitz for the research that led to the Primal Diet, since my remarkable results are largely a credit to that diet.
I would be terribly remiss not to say that as a Scientologist I was getting spiritual help from my church, mostly through my husband. I feel there is no substitute for a good spiritual approach, for any of us who seek values and triumphs in that way.
So there it is from the horse's mouth.

Barbara

No comments: