Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The cancer is not be spreading - is the raw food diet guiding us through the storm?

The 2nd visit to Mexico last December was a living nightmare. This is where they made the first comparison between what was diagnosed originally in September 2006 and what they were looking at now 3 months later. Whereas in September 2006 I had about 3 liver enzymes
that were somewhat high, in December I had about 8 of them out the roof, so much so that they were concerned either that I also had hepatitis (I understand it's not a great idea to have cancer and hepatitis at the same time), or that the cancer had now metastasized to the liver. In addition the doctor said I was anemic. I had other bad points (who can even remember the litany of test results he rattled off to me) and also I had a full blown kidney/bladder infection. Since they already had a sample of my blood, I gave the go-ahead for a hepatitis panel. The doctor said he'd call me in a few days when the results came back. Then he reiterated the usual disclaimers that this may not go away at all, etc. After a few hours of near retching and near fainting with my knees buckling under me, my husband helped me to make it on the shuttle and back to the hotel north of the border. While I normally don't watch television, in this case it performed its function admirably--a form of "dull-a-bye-baby" even better than the drugs I continued not to take
during that time period. When I woke up the next morning, I could say "it's a new day" and life did just what it does sometimes, by carrying on without me until I stepped on to the playing field once again. The doctor did call from Mexico a few days later to say that I had no hepatitis. An ultra sound done at the local hospital later, revealed no metastasis to the liver, or other internal organs, such as kidney, bladder, spleen, etc. We were still functioning on the good news that the cancer had not spread or gotten bigger in 3 months, so hope was once more on the horizon.
The following March for whatever reason I was once again back in pain and in the wheel chair. The cancer was still not spreading, so I asked "what gives"? My hospital doctor's evaluation after re-examining the original MRI, was that the architecture of the spinal bones was so compromised, that any shift in movement could cause that phenomenon. Their physical therapist at the hospital (all in Los Angeles) gave me some exercises that might help to build
muscle, and warned against sneezing or coughing (or try to do so with support at the back and a pillow in front), as that could precipitate a spinal fracture which would be problematic. He said
this was not theoretical, but that this type of thing had actually happened.
Subsequent visits to Mexico (after that extreme low point in December) were relatively calmer. Liver enzymes went lower, and other things in their tests seemed to be going more toward normal ranges though not by much. In a way, every visit seemed to be much
like the previous ones: all is holding steady, but no positive progress, such as bone regeneration as yet. So I learned to be grateful for the fact that the cancer still wasn't spreading. More
and more, it began to seem like the true miracle that it really and factually was! I came to accept the fact that the doctors at the Bio-Medical center in Mexico would want to see me every 3 months for some time, while they kept looking for "positive progress" without finding any. I learned to accept the fact that it might take a while to reverse the cancer, since after all, these were all natural methods...all this, while I continued eating the primal diet exclusively, and the recommended herbs. I was determined to hold the confidence I had originally in what I was doing, and also in the fact that I felt (after reading approximately 30 books and even more
articles on cancer) that I was partaking in the best treatment possible in this situation--again without getting too exotic with other things that hadn't been statistically proven nor specifically
recommended by either my nutritionist, Aajonus, or the Bio-Medical Center doctors, unless I knew that what I was doing was definitely not working or that more was needed. Also, I felt there was some sense to not flying off in all directions and doing a little of everything, for who knows what benefit. And there is always good sense in putting one's most positive face forward and trying to reassure everyone, as well as reassuring myself.

No comments: